It’s fall in the United States now and you know what it means! Apples are in season and it is mandatory for everyone to go for apple-picking at least once 🙂 So, what to do with the 40 apples that we picked?! Of course, eating them just as-is is the most delicious and healthier option. But I would like to take this opportunity to do some experiments. This Apple chips here is one such easier and successful experiment.
Really, this recipe couldn’t get any easier! All you need is to finely slice the apples and bake them. The baking time is much longer and the apples are slow-baked into crisps. Tart and crisp apples like Granny smith, Fuji, golden delicious etc will work well for this recipe. I have used Golden delicious apples for this recipe.
|Makes : 30-40 chips||Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 2hrs 30mins|
|Cinnamon powder||2 tbsp|
|Granulated Sugar(Optional)||3 tbsp|
- Pre-heat oven to 200F and prepare two or three baking pans lined with parchment paper.
- The hardest part in this recipe is to remove the apple core without slicing the apple. An apple-corer and a mandolin slicer will save you some precious time and effort. But, don’t worry if you didn’t have them. I didn’t have them either.
- Using a sharp pairing knife, cut out a circle around the center of the apple and work your way through until you reach the other end. Carefully remove the core keeping the apple intact.
- Now, start making thin slices of the apple. Try to cut them as thinly as possible. The more thicker the slices are, the more baking time they are going to need.
- Line the apple slices on the prepared baking pans.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon powder on top of the apple slices. You can add the granulated sugar with cinnamon powder and sprinkle them on the apple slices for a little more sweeter chips.
- Place the baking pans in the upper and middle-lower racks. Bake them at 200F for 1hour. After an hour, switch the pans between the two racks and let them bake for another 1 hour.
- At the end of 2 hours, increase the oven temperature to 250F and bake for another 15 mins.
- Remove the baking pans from the oven and let them rest for 5 mins. Check if it’s crisp enough for you. If you like it to be more crispier, return it back to the oven and bake for an additional 10-15 mins and check again.
- Enjoy the apple chips along with your cornflakes, yogurt or just out of the container like we did! 😀