I haven’t seen a kid who doesn’t like french fries. My kids are no exception! It’s a godsend especially when we are traveling and couldn’t find any Indian food nearby 😀 I wanted to make french fries at home for a long time now. Usual French fries served at Fast food restaurants are double fried to get that fully cooked inside and a crispier outside. I have already mentioned that I am not a big fan of deep frying. Since, french fries involves frying twice, it’s a big NO NO!! I didn’t even want to try 😛
Baked French Fries looked like a pretty good alternative. But I wasn’t sure if it would have the same crispiness and taste like it’s deep-fried counterpart. Guess what?! It was nothing less than the traditional fries. In fact, I liked them much better than the french fries. I even grabbed a bite or two when my kids were not looking 😀
Russet potatoes are used for the traditional fries. Since, I had only Red potatoes I proceeded with the same. The result was amazing though. As it is deep-fried two times to get the crispier texture, I did the same while baking them too. I fried them once at a slightly lower temperature to get the potatoes cooked and baked them again at a higher temperature to attain the crispiness.
|Makes: 4 small-size French fries||Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 40 mins|
|Olive oil||2 tbsp|
|Kosher Salt||1 tsp|
|Seasoning of your choice(Optional)||1 tbsp|
- Wash and peel the skin off the potatoes. You can also keep the skin on. It’s purely optional.
- Slice them length-wise into pieces of equal thickness. Try to cut uniform size slices to cook evenly while baking.
- Soak the cut slices in a bowl with cold tap water for 30 minutes. This removes the starch from the potatoes and helps us achieve crispier fries.
- Pre-heat oven at 375F.
- After 30 mins, drain the water completely. The potato slices should be fully dry before baking. I used a cotton kitchen towel to pat dry all the water from the potato. Make sure you dry them completely before the next step.
- Now, in a mixing bowl, combine the potato slices, salt, pepper and olive oil. Mix well.
- Prepare a baking tray with parchment paper and arrange the slices in a single layer.
- Now, bake them for 25 mins at 375F. (Bake for 20 mins if the slices are smaller) After 25 mins, increase the temperature to 425F and bake for another 15 mins. Check once after 10 mins to avoid burning. Remove from the oven.
- It’s time to enjoy your guilt-less Baked french fries with ketchup or seasoning of your choice! 😀