I love Almonds! I add them in just about everything 😀 It tastes exceptionally good in baked items. My husband loves almonds too. Whenever I ask him, what he wants me to bake, the answer is always the same. Either Chocolate Almond torte or Almond tea cakes 🙂 I wanted to make something Almondy for my husband for Father’s day other than the almond torte and tea cakes. That is when I came across these Chinese Almond cookies. Who doesn’t like the snap of the cookies 🙂 These crispy almond treats are super thin and makes a perfect tea time snack. If you are an Almond lover, you have come to the right place!
It’s very easy to make and if you already have almonds flakes, this can be done in a matter of minutes.
|Makes : 30 small size cookies||Prep time: 10 mins Bake time: 20 mins|
|All-purpose flour||1/8 cup|
|Almond flour||1/8 cup|
|Granulated sugar||1/3 cup|
|Unsalted Butter||1 tbsp|
|Vanilla/Almond extract||1 tsp|
|Almond flakes||1 cup|
- For blanching almonds: Boil 2 cups of water and add 1.5 cups of almonds to it. Let it boil for 3 minutes and switch it off. Run the almonds immediately under cold water. The skin will easily slide off. Remove the skin from the almonds and let it dry over a paper towel for at least 2 hours.
- Slice the blanched almonds breadth-wise thinly.
- Melt the butter.
- In a mixing bowl, add the egg whites and sugar. Whisk well.
- Add the warm melted butter. Sift the all-purpose flour, almond flour and salt into the mixture.
- Whisk everything well into a smooth mixture. Add the almond extract.
- Cover the bowl and let it refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, roast the almond flakes in a pan at low flame. Keep stirring and roast for 2-3 minutes. Do not brown them. Alternatively, you can also toast them in the oven. Let it cool down.
- Add the toasted almond flakes to the batter.
- Pre-heat oven at 300F. Prepare a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet.
- Scoop about 1 tsp of batter and place on the parchment paper at 1 inch intervals.
- Spread them as thinly as possible using a spoon and fork.
- Bake them at 300F for 12 mins. Then reduce the oven temperature to 250F and bake for another 8 mins.
- Check once after 15 mins to avoid burning.
- The biscuits will not be crisp when taken out of the oven. It will become crispier as it cools down.
- It’s time to enjoy your Crispy almond treats with a cup of tea! 😀