My kids love bread! But they are not big fans of French toast. I don’t know why. So, I wanted to try this French toast roll-ups and see how they like it. Guess what?! They absolutely loved it and came to the kitchen asking for more. One of them even asked me “Amma, did you get this from a hotel(restaurant)?” 😀 We have never had French toast in restaurants. But the look and the sweet bakery smell from the cinnamon had made him think that I got it from a restaurant 🙂
In addition to the delicious flavor and taste, it’s quite an healthy breakfast too. I have used multi-grain bread in this recipe. But any type of bread can be used. There are many flavor combinations that can be used in this recipe. You can use nutella/jam/ cream cheese as a spread and use any fruit of your choice. I have used Nutella and berries in this recipe. Nutella with bananas is another yummier option. You can also use spreadable cream cheese with blueberries/strawberries. The combinations are endless!
|Servings : 3-4||Prep time: 5 mins Cook time: 15 mins|
|Cinnamon powder||1/2 tbsp|
|Nutella/Jam/Cream cheese||1/2 cup|
|Butter for toasting||1 tbsp|
|Cinnamon powder + Sugar (Optional)||2 tbsp|
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon powder and salt. Whisk everything together until the sugar dissolves.
- Roughly chop the strawberries and keep them aside.
- Trim the edges of the bread slices. Using a rolling pin, roll out each slice of bread as thinly as possible.
- Spread a nice thin layer of nutella/jam on the bread slice and place the chopped strawberries and blueberries on one end of the bread slice. Do not over crowd as it will become difficult to roll.
- From the fruit end of the bread slice, roll the slice in to a tight roll. Press and seal the edges.
- Repeat the same for the rest of the slices.
- Now, take each roll separately and dunk them in the egg+milk mixture and coat evenly. Do not soak it for long.
- Heat butter in a wide pan and add the bread slices to it. You can toast all the rolls together depending on the size of the pan.
- Turn and toast the rolls until all the sides are cooked and browned.
- Add 1 tsp of cinnamon powder with 2 tbsp of sugar. Mix them well. After toasting the bread rolls, you can dip the rolls in the cinnamon
+sugar mixture or just sprinkle them on top. This step is totally optional. It gives a nice crunch and some more cinnamon flavor. The roll-ups tastes great even without adding the cinnamon sugar.
- Serve the French toast roll-ups with some more diced fruits! A dollop of Fresh whipped cream wouldn’t hurt 😉