Play doughs are always fun and brings out the creativity in kids. My kids are no exception. They love playing with play doughs and it keeps them occupied for a pretty good time! But the store-bought play doughs gets dried up pretty quickly and cleaning them up is also usually a mess(Especially in carpets). Personally I have felt that store-bought play doughs are not much smoother and pliable as well.
This Homemade playdough recipe here gives the best playdough for the kids to play with. It’s super soft and squishy. It doesn’t dry out soon either. And of course, much much cheaper! 😀 Also, it lasts much longer. We don’t have to worry about, even if the kids accidentally eat them as all the ingredients used are edible! It is super easy to make and can be done within 5 mins.
Cream of tartar is an important ingredient used in this playdough recipe. I have done it without using cream of tartar. The playdough came out good but lasted only for one or two days. It became watery after that and unusable. Cream of tartar acts as a preservative and stabilizing agent. If you do not have Cream of tartar, substitute it with 6 tbsps Lemon juice/Vinegar in the recipe. I haven’t done that before, so I cannot guarantee for the results. Technically, it should work though!
|Makes : 750 gms (approx)||Cook time: 5 mins|
|All-purpose flour||2 cups|
|Cream of tartar||4 tsps|
|Vegetable Oil/Baby oil||3 tbsp|
|Food coloring||As needed|
|Essential Oils (Optional)||A drop or two|
- Mix all-purpose flour, salt and cream of tartar in a heavy-bottomed vessel.
- Add the vegetable oil and water. Mix them well without any lumps. If you are going to make only one color of playdough, you can add the food coloring now itself.
- Heat them at medium/medium-low flame and stir constantly.
- It thickens really faster, so keep stirring. When it thickens a bit, put the flame on low.
- Within one or two mins, the entire mixture will thicken and roll to form a dough.
- Switch off the stove and transfer the dough onto a wax paper/parchment paper.
- Let it cool down for a bit. When it is warm enough to handle, knead the dough smooth for 2-3 mins.
- Divide the dough into the number of colors you want to make. Add a drop of food coloring in each dough ball.
- You can put, each dough ball separately in a ziploc bag for mixing without getting color stains in your hands.
- After putting them in the bags, just mix them together until the colors are evenly distributed. It’s difficult to get them completely mixed this way.
- So, once the liquid food coloring is mixed in the dough, take them out and mix them thoroughly with your hands. This way the colors won’t stain your hands.
- I have delegated that job to the kids 😀 They had fun squishing the dough!
- Once the colors are ready, it’s time to get creative! Have fun!
– Store the playdoughs in a ziploc bag or an airtight container each time after playing to prevent drying up.
– These homemade playdoughs lasts for at least 6 months when stored well.