Nan khatais are Indian cookies primarily made with All-purpose flour, sugar and ghee as the key ingredients. I have made these cookies with All-purpose and wheat flour before. It always turns out great! I have a lot of Bajra flour left and wanted to try nan khatais with it. I wasn’t so sure of how it would turn out. But the taste was just awesome and honestly, I couldn’t tell the difference between regular nan khatais and these. It tasted just the same. You have to try it to believe it 😀
I always try to sneak in a variety of nuts in the cookies and cakes I make as my kids are not big fans of nuts. In this recipe, I have added three nuts – Almonds, Cashews and Pistachios. It’s entirely your choice. You can add only one nut or a combination of nuts or none at all! Ghee/Clarified butter is a must for this recipe. If you want to use butter instead, it will still taste good but you will not get the authentic taste. Now, let’s get into the recipe.
|Servings : 14-15 Biscuits||Prep time : 30 mins|
|Kambu maavu/ Bajra flour||1 cup|
|Ghee/Clarified butter||1/2 cup|
|Baking soda||1/4 tsp|
- Take a frying pan and dry roast the Kambu/Bajra flour in medium-low flame for 5-10 mins until the you can smell the cooked flour smell. Let it cool completely after it’s done.
- Meanwhile, grind the sugar and cardamom together to a fine powder and grind the nuts to a coarse powder and keep them aside.
- Now, take the roasted and cooled Kambu flour and add baking soda, salt, powdered sugar and nuts. Mix well together.
- Then, slowly start adding the ghee one tablespoon at a time. Ghee should be at room temperature. You cannot use melted hot ghee.
- Keep mixing the ghee until you can form a smooth dough. If you ran out of the measured ghee and still couldn’t make a smooth dough, add a couple of tsps more. If you don’t feel like adding any more ghee, just add some milk to form the dough. The dough should be smooth without any cracks.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 15-20 mins. In the meantime, pre-heat oven at 350 F and prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- After 15-20 mins, divide the dough into equal sized balls and gently press flatten them into a round cookie shape.
- Arrange them in the baking sheet with 1 inch space in between each cookie and bake them for 15 mins in the middle rack of the oven.
- Now, it’s time to munch on these delicious healthy cookies!
– The cookies will be very fragile when taken out of the oven. So take care not to move them until they are completely cool.