Kulfis hold a special place when it comes to Indian desserts. The craze for a mid-night kulfi never fades. Those where the times when we wait till midnight to hear those bells from the kulfi-man. We just run to the street and look at awe when the vendor un-molds the kulfi from its mold taken from an earthen pot 😀 We can never get that taste anywhere else!
My husband is from Salem and everyone from Tamilnadu would know what it is famous for 😀 Yes, Salethu mambalam! Obviously, he is crazy about mangoes. Unfortunately, we don’t get mangoes like that in US and he never compromises on the taste. So, we don’t buy mangoes at all in US 🙁 The ready made mango pulp is a savior. Though it’s no match to Salem mangoes, it can at least be used in making mango lassi and tasted great in this kulfi as well. Kulfi is usually prepared by slow cooking the milk until it thickens and by adding your desired flavors to it. But this kulfi is made with condensed milk and prep time is less tha 10 mins! If you are using ready-made mango pulp, the prep time is less than 5 mins 😀
Don’t worry if you don’t have kulfi molds, you can any plastic or stainless steel container too.
|Makes : 20-25 kulfis||Prep time: 5 mins Freeze time: 6-8 hrs|
|Mango pulp/puree||2 cups|
|Sweetened condensed milk||1 tin (14 oz)|
|Heavy cream||2 cups|
|Cold Milk||1/2 cup|
|Elachi/Cardamom powder||1 tsp|
|Chopped nuts||2 tbsp|
|Crushed pistachios (Optional)||1 Tbsp|
- I have used Alphonso mango pulp. It gives the best taste. If you are using fresh mangoes, puree the mangoes in a mixer.
- Gather all the ingredients.
- I have used Pistachios in this recipe. Almonds or Cashews can also be used.
- Soak saffron strands in a little bit of warm milk.
- In a mixing bowl, add mango pulp, sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream, chilled milk, saffron soaked milk, cardamom powder and finely chopped nuts. Mix until everything is combined well.
- Now, pour this mixture in the kulfi molds.
- If you are using a plastic or stainless steel container, place a plastic wrap on top until it touches the kulfi mixture. There should be no gap as it crystallizes on top. It is necessary to put the plastic wrap on top.
- Freeze the molds for at least 6 hours.
- Now is the hardest part! The waiting 😀
- When you are kulfis are ready to unmold, run it under the tap of warm water to loosen it a bit and remove from the molds.
- Garnish with powdered pistachios on top and feast on 😀