Sweet corn is a variety of maize and is one of the first grains to be in cultivation. It is packed with vitamins and fiber. It tastes delicious just as a steamed corn. But it’s incorporation into a variety of food items turned out to be a Corn lovers’ dream! One such item is this Sweet corn soup. I love soup 😀 Whenever we eat out, I would always order a soup first. If I have to choose a veg option, it would be a Sweet corn soup for sure. But we often get only Indo-chinese Sweet corn soup in the restaurants.
This Sweet corn soup is just a plain version without any Indo-chinese sauces. But the taste is just delicious! It will make even the most adamant kids to ask for another cup 🙂 The preparation is so simple and cannot get any easier.
|Servings : 3||Prep time: 5 mins Cook time: 20 mins|
|Cooked corn||2 cups|
|Frozen Green Peas||1 tbsp|
|Green chillies (Optional)||1|
|Black Pepper||As needed|
- Pressure cook the sweet corn and remove the kernels using a knife. Measure 2 cups of the kernels.
- Take about 1.5 cups of corn and grind them in a mixer with little water and make a paste.
- You can either filter the corn paste or add them directly. I have filtered the paste.
- Chop the carrots, garlic and ginger finely. Slice the white part of the spring onions and keep them all ready.
- Heat a pan and add butter. Fry the spring onions, garlic and ginger until it’s slightly browned.
- Add the chopped carrots and frozen peas. Pour water and cook until the carrots are cooked well.
- Add the remaining corn to the water.
- Mix the corn paste as well along with salt. Simmer for 10-15 mins. Simmering the soup for a longer time, enhances the flavor of the soup.
- Mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and make a slurry.
- Slowly add the cornstarch slurry into the soup.
- It will thicken within a few minutes. Switch it off
- Chop the green part of the spring onions and add it to the soup.
- Sprinkle some black pepper powder and serve the soup hot with some bread!
– Add a tsp of soy sauce, green chilli sauce and vinegar to make Indo-Chinese Sweet corn soup.
– I didn’t add the green chillies as I wanted to give the soup to the kids. Adding green chillies is purely optional.
– Adding Butter for frying gives richness and flavor to the soup. You can use oil too.