Sweet potatoes are a highly nutritious vegetable and are a good source of vitamins, minerals, fiber and anti-oxidants. I try to include them in the diet for kids as well as us whenever possible. Though it tastes really good just boiled, I cannot resist making a variety of dishes with it given it’s versatility. This time, I wanted to make something spicier after the Sweet potato jamuns. It tasted too good when made into a spicier cutlet as well! It’s a hit with the kids 😀
I am not a big fan of deep frying and try to avoid it as much as possible. I shallow fried the cutlets in this recipe. It is purely optional as it works well when deep-fried, shallow-fried or baked.
|Makes : 12 cutlets||Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 25 mins|
|Sweet Potatoes(mashed)||2.5 cups|
|Green chilli(finely minced)||2|
|Frozen Sweet peas||1/2 cup|
|Garlic cloves(finely minced)||1/2 tsp|
|Red chilli powder||1/2 tsp|
|Garam masala powder||1/2 tsp|
|Chat masala powder||1 tsp|
|Cumin seeds||1 tsp|
|Maida/All purpose flour||1 tbsp|
|Oil for shallow frying||As needed|
- Wash and cut the sweet potatoes in half. Boil them in a vessel inside a pressure cooker. Add water only in the cooker and not in the vessel with sweet potatoes. Pressure cook them for 4-5 whistles. You can also bake them at 400F for 40 mins.
- Heat a kadai, add oil, cumin seeds followed by the chopped onions, minced garlic, green chillies and green peas.
- Fry them for a while and add the masala powders -red chilli powder, garam masala powder and chaat masala powder. Add salt. Fry till the masala gets cooked and switch it off.
- Mash the sweet potatoes well without any lumps and mix them well with the onion mixture. Add all-purpose flour/maida and water to make a paste. Make bread crumbs from bread slices. Keep them all ready.
- Make small balls of the sweet potato mixture, flatten them. Dip them in the maida paste and roll it on the bread crumbs. Repeat the same with the remaining mixture.
- Heat a wide kadai/pan and add oil for shallow frying. Place the prepared cutlet pieces on the pan.
- Cook until the cutlets are browned on both sides.
- Serve hot with ketch-up or hot sauce 🙂