My kids are crazy about fish. That is only non-vegetarian item that they love. We don’t make fish curry that often in our home. It’s mostly the Pan-seared fish fry that we make. We try different variations in that like changing the masala a bit every time. But this time I wanted to do some baked fish and see if it has the same taste that the shallow fried ones. I thought that we couldn’t get the charred effect in the oven. Surprisingly, the taste of this Baked Tandoori fish was so delicious that we finished it within minutes! 😀
I have used Salmon fillets in this recipe. Any fish fillet or fish with less bones will work well for this recipe. I baked this in the oven, but this can also be made in a grill or in a pan on stove-top.
|Servings : 3-4||Prep time: 5 mins Cook time: 25 mins|
|Fish Fillets||1/2 kg (1 lb)|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 tsp|
|Kashmiri Red chilli powder||1 tbsp|
|Coriander powder||2 tsps|
|Garam masala powder||1 tsp|
|Tandoori masala powder||1 tbsp|
|Ginger garlic paste||1.5 tsp|
|Lemon juice||2 tsp|
|Melted Butter||1 tbsp|
- Wash and remove the skin off from the fish fillets. Cut them into desired size.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients – turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, tandoori masala powder and salt.
- Add the ginger garlic paste, lemon juice and yogurt. Mix everything together and make a paste.
- Coat the fish pieces in the masala and let them marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 mins. The longer the better.
- Pre-heat oven to 400F.
- Prepare a baking tray lined with aluminium foil and place the fish pieces on the tray with some gap between each piece.
- Drizzle some melted butter on top.
- Bake the fish pieces for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, flip the pieces to the other side and bake for another ten minutes.
- Brush with more butter while flipping the fish pieces.
- Now turn the oven to Broil setting and broil for 2 minutes.
- Flip the fish pieces to the other side and broil for another 2 minutes.
- Do not broil for more than 2 minutes. The broiling is only to get the charred effect on the fish. Leaving it in the broil for a longer time will burn the fish.
- Drizzle the baked Tandoori fish with some more lemon juice and serve hot with onions and green chutney.
– The Tandoori fish is a bit dry to eat on it’s own. A simple green chutney will be a great accompaniment!