There is no denying that Carrot cakes are delicious! It’s one of my favorite cakes. Carrot cakes are packed with so many flavors that it is an absolute treat for your taste buds 😀 Cupcakes are even more fun as they are little bundles of joy!
Like I have mentioned in my previous posts, I try to replace the All-purpose/Maida with Whole wheat flour whenever I bake for us at home. So, I have used Whole wheat pastry flour in this recipe. Using regular Atta will result in denser cupcakes. Try to use 100% Stone ground wheat flour or Whole wheat pastry flour for this recipe. You can also use All-purpose flour. It’s a super simple recipe that can be prepared in just 5 mins 😀
|Makes : 18-20 cupcakes||Prep time: 5 mins Bake time: 20 mins|
|Whole Wheat flour||1.25 cups|
|Corn starch/Corn flour||2 tbsps|
|Granulated Sugar||1/4 cup|
|Light/Dark Brown sugar||3/4 cup|
|Baking powder||1 tsp|
|Baking soda||1/2 tsp|
|Cinnamon powder||1/4 tsp|
|Nutmeg powder||1/4 tsp|
|Ground ginger||1/4 tsp|
|Crystallized ginger/Fresh ginger(Optional)||1 tsp|
|Unsweetened Apple sauce||1/2 cup|
|Vanilla Extract||1/2 tsp|
|Grated carrots||1 cup|
|Chopped Pecans/Walnuts||1/2 cup|
- Chop the pecans and place them in a baking tray. Toast them in the oven at 300F for 5-7 mins. You can also toast them in a pan on stove-top. Let them cool.
- Now, combine the dry ingredients in a bowl – Whole wheat flour, corn starch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder and crystallized ginger . In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients – light brown sugar, granulated sugar, unsweetened apple sauce, oil, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Mix the wet ingredients well without any lumps using a whisk. Now add the dry ingredients slowly with the wet ingredients and mix them thoroughly using a spatula.
- Do not over mix. Mix gently until everything is combined.
- Fold in the grated carrots and toasted pecans to the batter.
- Preheat oven at 350F. Prepare the cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Pour until the cupcakes are 3/4th full.
- Bake for 20 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Enjoy your Carrot cupcakes with it’s classic mate Cream cheese frosting! It tastes delicious just plain and warm out of the oven 😀
For Eggless version:
Substitute 1/3rd cup of yogurt/sour cream for the eggs used in the recipe for Eggless carrot cupcakes.
– This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
– It can also be made be made into 1 8inch or 9-inch cake. or 2 6-inch cakes. The baking times will vary. For an 8-inch cake, bake for 30-35 mins. For 2 6-inch cakes, bake for 20-25 mins.
– If there is no frosting, it can be stored airtight at room temperature for up to a week. With frosting, it needs to be refrigerated.